Healthy Baked Blueberry Oatmeal Recipe By Personal Trainer, Registered Dietician, and Sports Nutritionist in Dubai, Baraa El Sabbagh
Recipe For An Easy Healthy Breakfast Without Added Sugar
There is no shortage of breakfast places in Dubai, am I right? Seems like wherever you go, avocado toast and acai bowls are on the menu. Speaking of acai bowls, (I know the title of this post is baked oatmeal recipe but I can’t pass up sharing this tip!) Did you know some acai dishes carry around 600-900 calories per bowl? That’s crazy, find out how to bring that number down here! What I love about this particular oatmeal recipe is you can do it on your own, removing the need to visit restaurant after restaurant for a quality and healthy breakfast in Dubai, or elsewhere.
Can Anyone Make Baked Blueberry Oatmeal?
Back to why we’re here! The answer is YES, anyone can make this super simple oatmeal recipe. It’s a refreshing change from cooked oatmeal if you (like me) want to have it for days at a time. You basically need the same sort of ingredients as you would the traditional oatmeal, but instead of lighting up the stove, you’re going to use the oven. I promise the extra time will be worth it!
Easy Healthy Overnight Oats Recipe
If you need a refresher on how to make overnight oats, check out this post that answers all your oats questions. Preparing overnight oats can be a lifesaver because you can literally prepare 3-4 jars for each member of the household, and so you no longer have to think about healthy breakfast ideas everyday.
A Different Twist On Healthy Oatmeal
Just like you would add your favorite toppings and ingredients to oatmeal, you can do the same with this baked version. It’s all about our preferences and tastes at the end of the day, so find out what the base ingredients are in the recipe below and then you can add your favorite fruit, topping, and crunch. I’ll share all the options with you on healthy substitutes if blueberry is not your jam!
The Basics Of Baked Oatmeal
Some of the ingredients you need for baked oatmeal are actually included in my article “7 Simple Ingredients In My Kitchen”. It’s always useful to have these staple items around in case the urge to bake a hearty breakfast strikes at midnight. For the baked oatmeal recipe, we of course will need oats. You can choose your favorite type, I always opt for the old fashioned rolled oats. You’re also going to need salt, cinnamon, and baking powder. For the crunch in this recipe, use some pecans. If you’d like another option, go for almonds or walnuts.
Swapping & Replacing Healthy Ingredients
Here are some fruits you can use if you don’t like blueberries:
- (Golden tip: if you have any frozen food in your freezer, go ahead and throw that in!)
Here are the nuts you can use if you’re not a fan of pecans:
- (Golden tip: don’t forget to crush the nuts before adding them)
If you don’t want to add in maple syrup, here are some sweetener substitutes:
- Brown Sugar
- Golden tip: if you’re using a fruit like bananas, you can even get away without any adding any sweetener
View this post on Instagram
BLUEBERRY BAKED OATMEAL RECIPE 👩🍳! Guys, this one’s a great recipe if you like to meal prep, stay full for a while, or if you’re my husband 😂 (yes it’s his weekly go-to breakfast) LIKE 💗& SAVE 😍 so you can make it Sunday morning! It’s SUPER easy, healthy and really delicious. It’s also great if you like a little dessert in your breakfast because it’s got chocolate chips, almonds, and blueberries 🤤. Check out the entire recipe on the blog, link in bio and don’t forget to tag me in your creations! For more recipes like these, order the recipe book I created with @mirnasabbagh directly to your doorstep from www.superrecipesbook.com. TAG a person that would LOVE this!
How To Store Your Healthy Breakfast
If you keep the oatmeal in an airtight container, you can keep it for 5 days in the fridge. Warm up a serving in the microwave whenever you want, it'll taste just as good as day 1. Also, if you feel like freezing it, you totally can! But not directly from the oven, let it cool off a bit.
Now for the recipe!
Want A Collection of Healthy, Wholesome Recipes?
If you're looking for a whole bunch of healthy, delicious recipes, look no further than the Super Recipes book! My sister Mirna and I created this together, and it's been amazing seeing people try them out and send over pictures of the results.
Healthy Baked Blueberry Oatmeal Recipe
- 2 cups blueberries
- 2 cups old fashioned oats
- Half cup pecans
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon (ground)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- Half teaspoon salt
- 2 cups of almond milk (or the milk of your choice)
- Half cup maple syrup (or the sweetener of your choice)
- 2 tablespoons of flaxseed
- 1 tablespoon melted coconut oil
- 2 teaspoons of vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 375° F. Add 1 cup of the blueberries to the bottom of the baking dish.
- Combine the oats, pecans, cinnamon, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl. Add the mixture over the blueberries.
- Combine milk, maple syrup, flaxseed, melted coconut oil, and vanilla extract in a small bowl. Pour over the oat mixture. Press down to cover all the oats. Add the second cup of blueberries on top of everything.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 30 - 40 minutes, uncovered, until the top of the oatmeal is golden and the mixture is set.
- Remove and allow it to cool for 5 minutes.
There you have it. Send me your creations on @baraaelsabbagh, I'd love to see your twist on this recipe.