Healthy Chicken Escalope Recipe
This post is a guest post by Tania Koujou. She is a health revolutionizer working on the feel-good living movement, built on 3 principles: simple, balanced and exciting. She believes one food item can’t be labeled as unhealthy in absolute and is beyond what the current industry labels it: gluten-free, low fat, detoxing, you name it. Health starts with our relationship with food and ourselves rather than the choice of food itself. There is no one absolute approach to health and definitely no one size fits all.
I'm delighted to have her share this feel-good healthy chicken escalope recipe with us.
Escalope chicken or otherwise known as breaded chicken is a dish that does not always have to be eaten with a bunch of French fries, sugary condiments, soft drinks and heavy coleslaw. So let’s revolutionize it while keeping its authentic Italian taste.
This healthy chicken recipe is filled with nutrients, the whole family will enjoy it, it's baked, comes with a delicious potato sauce and mouth-watering mustard dip!
Check out how I kept it authentic below.
Tania's healthy food principles:
- Have your food homemade to guarantee the freshness
- Have it homemade to choose the quantity of ingredients you put inside
- Pair it with nice and exciting veggies and dips
- Bake in the oven and still enjoy it!
Chicken Escalope Healthy Recipe
For Healthy Chicken Escalope
- 4 chicken breasts
- 2 tbsp vinegar
- 1 brown baguette
- 5 tbsp finely grated Parmesan (not powder)
- 2 tbsp dried basil
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 tbsp sunflower seeds - for some nice crispiness!
- 3 eggs + sprinkle salt + a sprinkle of white and black pepper (go easy on the white)
- 3/4 cup flour of choice (you will only need it to dust the chicken)
For the Mustard Dip
- 1 1/2 tbsp regular mustard
- 1/2 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp yogurt (laban)
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp soy sauce
- 1/2-1 tsp balsamic
- Salt and pepper
For the Potato Wedges
- 2 small potatoes
- 1 tsp rosemary
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- Drizzle of olive oil
- Sprinkle of chili flakes (optional)
Healthy Baked Potatoes
- Start by washing the potatoes and cutting them into wedges, while keeping the skin on.
- To cut into wedges: Cut the potato length ways then each half into 2 wedges, and each wedge into a quarter. Check how Gordon Ramsay does it!
- Coat the wedges with the seasoning (use your hands!) and pop them in the oven and roast for 45 min. You will need to flip half-through
Healthy Breaded Chicken
- Cut the chicken breasts into 8-10 thin slices and then flatten them until they become wider by using a roller or hammering them with a meat mallet. You can place them between 2 sheets of cling film for this step, totally optional!
- Soak the chicken in vinegar
Crust & Chicken coating:
- Meanwhile, prepare the crust.
- For the baguette, you can buy a fresh one and wait 2 days until it hardens then remove the inner sponge. Alternatively, use the newly bought one, empty the insides and place in oven and roast until it becomes too crispy. Make sure to flip the sides while roasting, you don’t want it to get burnt
- Place the crispy baguette in a food processor and blend until you get small chunks/crumbs. You do not need to get a fine powder.
- Place the bread crumbs in a bowl and mix with the Parmesan, basil, salt and sunflower seeds
- In another bowl, whisk the eggs with the seasoning
- In another bowl, place the flour
- To coat the escalope, you start by coating the filet in flour and shaking off the excess. Dip each floured escalope in the egg mixture, then coat it in the breadcrumbs until completely coated. You can sprinkle the crumbs on the first side and press then flip to the other side, sprinkle and press
- Repeat the 3 steps for each filet, one at a time
- Drizzle some olive oil in a pan, add the escalope and cook on stove or in oven. You will need to flip once and half-through
Delicious Mustard Dip
- Prepare the dip by mixing all the ingredients.
- Serve with a side salad made of a mix of soft greens and cherry tomatoes.